Sunday, August 15, 2010

DevCon Day 03






Got an early start for a change, Had a terrible breakfast at the hotel. My 30 liter bag was hard to close I'm going to have to lose a few thing.

The weather was great this morning nice and cool ride and not a cloud in the sky.

I headed West on Hwy 302 out of Odessa Texas, turned left on Hwy 285 and right on Farm Market Road 652 for the next 40 mile I was the only one on that road.

I turned left on to Hwy 180 to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. I did a couple of miles of hiking in McKittrick Canyon area and then stopped by the visitors center.

I did not see one gas pump since I left Odessa Texas this morning and after exploring Guadalupe Mountains National Park I was started to run on fumes. Found a gas station near Salt Flats, Texas (26 miles west of the park) just in time. I filled up with almost 6 gallons.

I stopped for lunch at May's Cafe in Cornudas, Texas, it's in the middle of nowhere and it's a great place to get a good cheeseburger.

I continued on Hwy 180 West, turned Right on Hwy 375 to Franklin Mountains State Park to take a few photos

After a few miles on Hwy 80, I hopped on Hwy I-10. I pull over at Deming, New Mexico, in a Mac Donald's to take a break, checking email, and have a soda while the rain passes by.

Stopped for dinner at Kranberry's Family Restaurant in Lordsburg New Mexico. This is my third time here and it's always been good.

I Cross the Arizona state line at about 450 mile and pulled off at Bowie, Arizona and turned South on Apache Pass Rd to see the Fort Bowie National Historic Site. I did not make it to the site, after 20 mile the pavement ended and it was getting dark, so I chose not to ride on the gravel/dirt road in the dark heading back to I-10.

However I had a great time riding on Apache Pass Rd. The weather was great and I got some great photos.

By the time I got back to Bowie, Arizona it was dark, I hopped back on to Hwy I-10 to Wilcox, Arizona and booked a room at the Motel 6.

About five years ago I broke down here in Wilcox, Arizona and had my motorcycle (Yamaha Venture) towed to Tucson Arizona.

I stayed on I-10 so I could get in 500 to 600 miles today to get a little ahead of schedule, I actual hit my goal at 545.7 miles.

PhotosRouteSpot

No comments: